We are interested to hear from individual artists, craft or art groups and history groups who wish to propose an exhibit, a workshop or similar experience for our visitors. Exhibition proposals should be accompanied by portfolio images, a description of the proposed project and any promotional material sufficient for jurying content and appropriateness to the Museum’s mandate. Please carefully read the Guidelines below. Proposals may be submitted using the form at the bottom of the page, or by post. Electronic submissions are encouraged.
Guidelines for Submitting an Exhibition Proposal
The Mississippi Valley Textile Museum welcomes exhibition proposals on an ongoing basis from curators, craft and art professionals, and collectives. Our exhibition program is intended to raise awareness of Canada’s industrial textile heritage and contemporary textile practices. It will provide new understanding and provoke discussion. Exhibition proposals may be of regional, national or international scope and may be planned for the Norah Rosamond Hughes Gallery or alternative venues. We present both solo and group exhibitions. Usually, we program for three to four exhibitions each year.
Proposals are reviewed twice a year by the MVTM Exhibitions Jury Committee following the submission deadlines of 15 September and 15 March. Applicants will be notified within two months of the submission deadline. Please note that scheduling takes place up to three years in advance.
PROJECT REVIEW CRITERIA:
Alignment with MVTM Exhibition Mission and Vision Statements;
- Demonstrates excellence;
- Explores a new area or approach; or
- Addresses the historical context of the MVTM
Alignment with the Ontario Arts Council Priority Groups
- Artists of Colour
- Deaf Artists and Artists with Disabilities
- Francophone Artists
- Indigenous Artists
- New Generation Artists(18-30 year olds)
- Artists Living In Regions Outside Toronto
PROPOSALS SHOULD INCLUDE:
- Project Description (2 pages Maximum): Description of the conceptual approach and subject, including materials used and estimated dimensions of installation. Please address any technical and spatial requirements regarding the installation and presentation of your work, including framing.
- CV of each participant ( 3 pages per artist Maximum)
- Budget, Installation and Equipment Considerations
- Portfolio: 10-20 images. For each piece include: artist, title, medium, size and date
IMAGE/CD/USB Stick REQUIREMENTS:
- Images should be full size and resolution; .jpg, .png or .gif are acceptable formats.
- Label each file with a number and your initials and the year and title of the work.
- Ensure that the numbers of the first nine images begin with a zero, e.g., 01, 02, etc
- Mark each CD-ROM, video, or USB stick with your name
We encourage electronic submissions. Please send proposals and direct any questions to:
Mississippi Valley Textile Museum
3 Rosamond Street East
PO Box 784
Almonte, ON K0A 1A0