NOTE: The work below is focused on getting the building up to current accessibility and museum standards. Once the building’s structural problems and temperature control problems are addressed and the building is properly heated and air conditioned, we can enhance the care and prolonged life expectancy of our artifact collection and start rotating the artifact collection on special exhibition. Also once these major building issues are addressed we can expand on our incoming traveling exhibitions.
- fixed the foundation of the museum from water infiltration, which included;
- installation of a new sump pump
- insulation of masonry walls below grade
- correction of exterior surface drainage
- removed deteriorated limestone and red sandstone window sills and replaced with replicas. Re-installed replica glass in the two main entrance doors of the museum.
- Raised funds for the restoration and painting of the original warehouse windows.
- re-pointing exterior north, east and west walls.
- replaced lower gallery floor with concrete. Portion of upper gallery floor was replaced with wood planked flooring.
- insulated, drywalled and installed gallery lighting in the second floor gallery ceiling.
- Safety and Accessibility
- Installed panic hardware on all emergency doors of building. Installed emergency lighting and emergency light up signage.
- Completed the installation of an accessible washroom on the ground floor.
- Completed the rebuilding of the rear entrance steps to the Museum, including the installation of an accessibility ramp.
- addressed north exterior landscaping and added more parking. Inspection and correction of sewers.
- Paved the rear parking lot and added signage for accessible parking front and rear.
- Re-branding of the museum
- designed new logo, new website and new signage throughout the Town of Mississippi Mills.
- Research and artifact collection
- catalogued the museums library collection and started digitization of the artifact collection.
Completed the digitization of the artifact & library collection.
Commission an engineering study for the planned installation of ductwork, furnaces and central air conditioning units.
- Installed ductwork, furnaces and central air conditioning units.
Installed multi media components to the “Fabric of a Small Town” exhibit.
- Established a committee that will focus on developing educational and outreach programs for the museum with the goal to launch new programs in 2014.
- Researched, planned and constructed a new education room at the MVTM.
- Reviewed the museum’s current insurance coverage and signed with new broker.